Tuesday, July 11, 2006

64 years young

I thought for a moment it read "The American Association of Retarded People" :-) Guess I need to get my eyes fixed.

Story:
The American Association of Retired People proclaimed in an article that 60 had become the new 30. In other words, the same generation that looked at 30 as old looks at 60 as young.

"If people start thinking about being old, then they are old," said Sally Burke, a martial arts instructor.

Burke, who turns 65 in December, was raising "two little kids back in Pennsylvania" when the Beatles song ('When I'm Sixty-Four') came out.

"I never dreamed my life would take this direction," she said. As her children grew older, and her marriage broke apart, Burke looked for fulfillment through tae kwon do.

Now, she is a third-degree black belt with dreams of reaching the ultimate rank of master one day. She teaches at Space Coast Martial Arts in Cocoa Beach and Merritt Island.

"It may take until I'm 75 or older, but I'll become a master," vowed Burke, who has overcome a spinal condition to perfect her martial-arts skills.

Source

No comments: