Saturday, July 29, 2006

Lost in translation

Here's an interesting - and humorous - article from a Korean Buddhist temple.

Story:
It is pitch black outside. Suddenly the room is aglow. A soft voice says, "Time to wake up." She must be kidding. But at a Buddhist monastery near Busan, South Korea, the day begins at 3 a.m.
For me, Buddhism is difficult, but with a translator, it is incomprehensible. "Everyone," says Hye Su, our monk teacher. "Yes," we answer. "What is everyone?" he asks. "Me," answers one of the group. "What is me?" he asks.

After breakfast, we hike to some ancient tombs. No path, just lots of trees and big rocks. It's worth the trek. The monuments date back to the Shilla Dynasty. Some are more than 1,100 years old.

More exercise comes with a martial arts demonstration and lesson. Though the monks are usually peaceful, they will fight to protect their country if necessary. In fact, Beomeosa Temple was founded about 1,300 years ago to protect the peninsula from Japanese pirates.

Monks are masters of martial arts and practice it for health and well-being. They make it look so easy. It's not. I trip over my feet. My kicks are pathetic. Another indication that though I have enjoyed this experience, I don't have a future as a Buddhist monk.

Source

No comments: