Friday, February 23, 2007

Uplifting Experience

Gujo Do karate? I suppose the reporter here is trying to say Goju ryu karate-do ... Apart from that, it's a really great article - inspiring!

Story:
California -- Del Harvey is finally realizing his lifelong dreams. For the first time in his life, he is closer to managing his own money, living independently and making his own decisions.

"I've learned a lot, like being more alert and more conscious of things around me," said the 41-year-old developmentally disabled Whittier resident. "Now I am able to know how to take care of myself."

Harvey credits karate and his martial arts instructor, Kyoshi Anthony Marquez, for his new outlook.

For the past five months, Marquez, a veteran martial artist from Victorville, has been teaching Harvey and 30 other developmentally disabled adults Gujo (?) Do karate, the martial art of Okinawa, Japan.

Source

No comments: