Thursday, May 31, 2007

Lacrosse-Over

Yeah I know, you just have to overlook the fact that these people insist on training karate, when they in fact are doing taekwondo ... That aside, it is a great read :-)

Story:
Maryland -- When Allie Buote was 9 years old, she wanted to be a Ninja Turtle. Jumping on the couch and leaping across the room, she mimicked the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles she saw on TV. She was dying to take karate lessons, so her parents enrolled her in taekwondo for her birthday.

"My mom didn't think I'd actually stick with it," Buote said with a laugh. She did. She loved it. By 12, she had earned a black belt. By 14, she had a first-degree black belt.

All the while, Buote was learning a host of skills and strategies that would help her with the sport she had a passion for most - lacrosse. Instead of becoming a Ninja Turtle, Buote became a Maryland Terrapin.

The starting goalie for the nation's No. 2-ranked women's lacrosse team, Buote has found that taekwondo instruction has made her a better goalkeeper, both physically and mentally.

"From karate, I definitely had good reflexes," she said. "We did a lot of stuff like footwork and sparring, which is good because you have to react to what the other person does and act back. I think that, speed-wise, it helped me with my decision making."

Source

No comments: