Monday, September 04, 2006

Anyone "better"?

I seriously suggest someone starts doing reality checks on these TKD "black belts". I'm saying nothing bad about the art here, though - just bashing this "Wow... look, I got a black belt, I guess I must be real good!" stupidity.

Teenagers getting to that level after only 1-2 years of training? Please, someone tell me I'm dreaming, or that these folks are making it all up!

Why don't they just hand the belts out at the door, and then send them home?

Leave the arts up to people who are actually interested in spending time (and time is not equal to weeks...) to learn it properly, and please stop writing about kids who are SO proud because their parents can afford to buy them a black belt at an academy.

Folks, I've got news for you: Just go online and purchase the darned belt and diploma for next to nothing. It will save you a lot of money, and make the rest of us that are actually interested in martial arts studies to feel less ashamed.

Story:
The youngster happens to be a good golfer too. She recently won the Illinois Junior Golf Association Girls 14-16 title and is one of the top golfers in the state.

Another thing that separates her from her sisters is that Meg is a black belt in tae kwon do and was promoted to black belt in 1 1/2 years (AARG!).

"I am really proud of myself to get it that quick," Meg said. "Other people it takes years and I enjoyed doing it and you did get to make new friends as well as travel."

Source

No comments: