Monday, September 18, 2006

A little kip up

Melvin Fowler is lying flat on his back when suddenly he swings his legs up, vaults himself straight into the air without using his hands and lands in a standing position.

It's an acrobatic move that is common in martial arts, break-dancing and gymnastics.

It's uncommon for offensive linemen.

"It's a little kip up," Fowler said. "It's a martial arts thing. Back in the day when I was younger, I did jujitsu. I finished when I was a freshman in college, and I did karate when I was little. You bend your legs and you spring up."

Easier said than done when you're 296 pounds, like Fowler. The move is an example of the athleticism the Bills were seeking when they signed Fowler to a free-agent contract in March and made him their new starter in the middle of their offensive line.

Source

No comments: