Tuesday, August 29, 2006

'Marital Arts'

That's quite a heading right there: "Marital Arts Popular Among Women"!

The dictinary describes 'marital' as:
1. Of or relating to marriage: marital status; marital problems.
2. Of or relating to a husband.

So I guess "Marital Arts" is the art of marriage, or maybe the art of being married to men? Help me out here, guys!

But alas, it was meant to be Martial Arts after all - now, who would have guessed?

The article in question is about women "taking over" martial arts, or at least gaining access by the numbers to areas that used to be occupied by men. I for one think that is great! I do hope that we will see more and more places wher both genders can train together on equal terms.

Story:
Many women are now experts in an ancient art once practiced almost exclusively by men. Those who take party say it is not only one of the hottest workouts, but it is also a great way to stay safe.

This typical karate class is missing one very typical thing--men! "I guess it started out because we started going to lunch afterwards," according to a co-owner. What began as just a few women in a men's class is now only women.

"When I first started at the school there were only myself and two others," a student said.

"I couldn't even touch my toes before I started, and it makes you much more aware of your body and what you feel like during the day."

But it's about more than just that benefit to the body, many women here tell you they've joined because of the benefit to the mind--and more importantly, knowing a little bit more about self defense.

Source

No comments: