Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Stereotypes?

That's a kung-fu girl for ya!

Story:
New Oreans -- A 13-year-old scuba diver, firefighter cadet and kung-fu student has taken the Livingston Parish School Board to court over its plans to segregate her middle school by sex.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit Wednesday in Baton Rouge federal court for Michelle Selden, who is scheduled to start eighth grade next week at Southside Junior High School, and her parents.

The suit contends that the program is based on discriminatory stereotypes.

In a statement filed with the lawsuit, the student wrote, "I have always had boys in my classes before when I have gone to school. I don't think that having boys in the class has made it hard for me to learn. I think that boys and girls should be treated the same way by teachers and that is unfair for girls to be taught one way and boys to be taught another."

Source

No comments: