Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Female Jiu-Jitsu Chaplain

Sasebo chaplain Sunny Mitchell is a student of jiu-jitsu:

Q: What about you might surprise most people?
A: I love ballroom dancing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Q: How does studying a martial art fit with being a chaplain?
A: I’ve done it on and off for most of my adult life. I started fighting in the jiu-jitsu club in college after watching the first UFC. When I moved to Atlanta for graduate school, I started training with a well-respected Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor. While in seminary and the few chances I’ve had to train in Sasebo, I use the mat time to release the day’s frustrations.

Q: How has studying jiu-jitsu affected other areas of your life?
A: As a female, I’m more aware of safety situations. I try not to put myself in situations where I could subject myself to being harmed.

Source

No comments: