Sunday, March 12, 2006

How Many "Experts" are There?

I really do wonder...

The term "martial arts expert" must surely be on the very top of the list of misused and misplaced phrases in the media?

It seems like being able to throw a punch and chewing a gum without falling over is all it takes. "You know how to tie a belt!? - Wow, you're an expert!"

Personally I've been doing this stuff (excluding the gum) for 30 years, and I wouldn't dream of considering myself an expert. I know some real experts that would have a laugh if I did...

Could someone please inform the ladies and gentlemen of the media that it takes a little more than a black belt and a proud mum and dad to be a martial arts expert? 3-5 years with martial arts is NOT a long time. The true training starts at black belt for crying out loud!

Ok, I'm calm now :-)

More about the martial arts here:
http://www.your-martial-arts-resources.com

1 comment:

John Vesia said...

Torbjorn: You're right when you say the real training doesn't start until you reach black belt. But after 30 years of training, you better be an expert!
When I get a chance, I'll come back and read more (I saw some of
the other site you have).
Be well.

John