Friday, June 02, 2006

'Blondie' vs. 'Psycho Sumo'

First of all, sumo wrestlers are not just "big guys bouncing around," said Casey Burns, one of six U.S. competitors in the World Sumo League. "We're big guys, but we are professionals at what we do. People off the street will get hurt."

That was not something I needed to hear just then, since the league had so graciously offered to let me wrestle one of the sumos at this press conference. (What I didn't hear -- luckily -- was the nickname of the wrestler assigned to me -- Hans "Psycho Sumo" Borg, a 343-pound, 6-foot-4 Norwegian.)

Though I did have to stifle a giggle when the sumo wrestlers sauntered in wearing their mawashis -- the traditional, tiny loincloths that cover very little of their groin area and even less of their backside -- their sport is no laughing matter.

Source

No comments: