Friday, August 03, 2007

Cane-Do in Canada

How I would have loved to see this, and shake this gentleman's hand; Go Canada!

Story:
Canada -- A scrappy senior is being hailed a hero for being able to cane two crooks, one of whom was wielding a knife, and put an end to a drugstore robbery in Oshawa.

It was a situation that would leave most 64-year-olds severely shaken, but not Roy Dixon, who has trained in various martial arts since he was just a child.

Dixon walked into the store to get a prescription filled as the robbery was in progress and said he couldn't help but get involved. He claims one of the men threatened to kill him and then lunged at him with the knife.

"They underestimated me," said Dixon, who is only about 5-foot-7 and 170 pounds. "I definitely surprised them. I'm not a dangerous person but I am prepared, deadly prepared. And I'm not afraid of anybody."

"I eat, drink and sleep martial arts," said Dixon, who retired last year from GM after 34 years on the job and still practises judo and karate daily.

Dixon said he was the Canadian light-heavyweight champion in karate for seven years as a young man. He also taught Durham police officers self-defence 20 years ago.

Source

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a Sensei I studied under as a teen! I studied with a Sensei Roy for 2-3 years in Oshawa, Ontario. I have fond memories of him and his "High Rank Karate" dojo. He was a good teacher. Gentle, humble and patient. Great with kids. I think he ran the school more to share his love of Karate than anything else. (At $15/month, he made much less money than most dojos.) Anyway, make no mistake, he was a dangerous man, only when he needed to be. I lost touch with him over the years. I am glad to hear that age did not temper his bushido spirit. PS: Why has this come to mind? Well, as my children have recently started Martial Arts training in Kuk Sool Won, I have waxed sentimental... and decided to Google "Sensei Roy Dixon". Found this blog post, and it brought me a sentimental smile...

martial Arts Sources said...

Thank you so much for this great comment about a real sensei in every interpretation of the term!

Wish you the best of luck with your children's martial arts training, and again thanks for dropping by!

Torbjorn

BestMartialArtsNews.com