Saturday, July 25, 2009

An Improbable TKD Career

Colorado -- After overcoming bone cancer, 37-year-old Ben Schwenk underwent 17 surgeries in less than two weeks in 1990. His leg was amputated above the knee, but a radical operation preserved his calf muscle, quadriceps and hamstring. And it opened the door for an improbable taekwondo career.

Competing with a specially designed prosthetic leg, he has quickly climbed the ladder in the world's most practiced martial art, after taking up taekwondo in 2007 according to gazette.com.

Schwenk called his prosthetic leg a blessing in disguise. "I wouldn't be who I am without it," he said. "I wouldn't have experienced so many other things. I wouldn't have met my wife. I would have never gotten here. … I lost my leg, but I gained my life."

No comments: