Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Karate: Key to Her Health

UK -- Bronchiectasis is an incurable lung condition involving scarring of the lungs. 16-year-old Lauren Davies, who suffers from this severe condition, didn't let it stop her from becoming a black belt in karate.

The teenager suffers from breathlessness and tiredness and her condition is so severe she may be facing a lung transplant in later life.

But the Castleton teenager has fought her health problems to work her way up to first dan, and also works part-time as a karate instructor in Sudden.

The girl told rochdaleobserver.co.uk: "I have a lot of pain, I constantly have a cough, I have a lot of breathing problems and I get tired a lot. But karate has really helped. My karate friends have been like family to me. They have really helped me through all the tough times I have had."

She has now written a self-help book about her life titled Miss Goals, in conjunction with her karate teacher.

The book tells the story of how she has overcome her problems. She said she hopes the book will help other youngsters with the condition.

No comments: