Sunday, April 09, 2006

The real No. 1

Here's a great article that every parent should read! It is about martial arts tournaments, and how kids (and parents) can benefit from the experience - if it is handled correctly and wisely. It also points to the possible negative side effects of any form of competition.

Story:
It was late on Sunday morning and the place was filled to near capacity with karate students in uniform.

It was my son's first karate tournament.

He has been a karate student for almost 16 months now and, by the time this goes to press, he will have been promoted to his orange belt.

He really enjoys it and it has given him a sense of confidence he certainly did not have before.

He was eligible to compete in tournaments months ago, but I held off. I had many excuses (...), but I had to admit the reason I didn't want to deal with the whole tournament thing was my own angst about competition.

Source

No comments: